We believe we are one of the only companies in the UK who offer driving for the visually impaired experiences. Not to mention we offer it off road!
When you are registered ‘blind’ there are some things you accept may not be possible any more. But this?! Huge thanks to Explore 4×4 for making the impossible possible! Never thought this would be possible, what an amazing experience.Clare M, RNIB
Working alongside leading sight loss charities including the Royal National Institute of Blind People, RNIB, we are contacted by visually impaired people across Britain. With many travelling long distances to drive with us on our Norfolk base on the Elveden Estate.
- We offer 30 minutes or one hour experiences.
- It’s exhilarating for the drivers, but very exhausting too, as it needs a great deal of concentration.
- The experience is based on a 1:1 instruction for each 4×4 vehicle.
- We use both manual and automatic Land Rover Discoverys with no dual controls – one of our instructors will be by your side throughout.
- Some people have partial sight, some have no sight, some have driven previously and then lost their sight, and some have never been behind the wheel before.
- Guide dogs are most welcome, and we have a dog walk through the woods they can enjoy too!
- We have the Courtyard Restaurant and the Elveden Inn on site for refreshments.
- The experience is phenomenal, both for the drivers themselves and our 4×4 instructors alike!
We have many years of off-road training behind us, from military personnel preparing for overseas travel, to private motorists keen to learn more about their 4x4s. We had instructed physically disabled people in off road driving, before making the transition to welcoming drivers experiencing varying degrees of sight loss. Being able to offer a driving experience, something many of us take for granted is just so incredibly rewarding.
Please note that this requires high levels of concentration, but we can honestly say everyone thoroughly enjoys their time with us. With many making return visits!
Please contact us to book your experience or click here to find out more about driving for the visually impaired.